We’re always glad to latch unto something new and exciting and this World Environment Day, Bailiff Africa is joining the renowmed campaign, Meatless Mondays. Meatless Monday is an international campaign that encourages people to not eat meat on Mondays to improve their health and the health of the planet. We are also using the campaign as a tool to create awareness about the effects of our meat consumption on the environment.
First launched by The Monday Campaigns Inc, Meatless Monday began in 2003 and focuses its initiative on Mondays for multiple reasons. Friday is traditionally already a meat-free day among Catholics and Orthodox. Monday is typically the beginning of the work week, the day when individuals settle back into their weekly routine. Unhealthy habits that prevailed over the weekend can be forgotten and replaced by positive choices.
Here’s how to participate this World Environment Day:
- #MeatlessMondayAfrica is our version of the worldwide #MeatlessMonday campaign.The concept is simple – to have a meat-free Monday. Be a part of this campaign to help reduce the amount of meat that is consumed in Nigeria and Africa for health and environmental benefits. This is an easy way to start a culture of less meat yet nutritional meals that have less or no impact in the environment and our health.
- Avoid excessive CO2 production,
- Reduce methane/nitrous oxide production,
- Save large amounts of water,
- Avoid polluting our streams/rivers/oceans,
- Reduce destruction of topsoil & tropical rainforest,
- Reduce the destruction of wildlife habitats & endangered species,
- Reduce the use of antibiotics, growth promoters and chemicals
- Post a photo and story of your meatless meal on any social media platform and tag it #meatlessmondayafrica.
- In turn, Bailiff Africa will publish fun meat-less recipes, photos, reviews, etc every Monday in 2014.
- Make sure you inform us on Twitter about your #MeatlessMondayAfrica post with a link to your submission.
- Every MONDAY, we will award 2 fascinating picture stories with recharge cards (Nigeria). #MeatlessMondayAfrica.
- We are raising awareness on the impact of our meat consuption on the environment for the REST OF THE YEAR! #MeatlessMondayAfrica.
- The two most creative or fascinating #MeatlessMondayAfrica pictures win every MONDAY! Let’s get sharing our meatless photos. #WED2014